Monday, May 04, 2009

Multiracial Magazines

I love magazines. I love the glossy pictures, the variety of information, and the conversational tone that makes me think whoever wrote that article was totally thinking about me. I love that in a magazine, I might find someone exactly my age who was having the exact same crisis about, having children, how to style their hair, what to make for dinner, and/or how to pay back thousands of dollars in credit card debt and still manage a trip to Europe over the summer.

The only problem is, someone forgot to tell the publishing industry that 1964 has passed and integration is hot. Why, dear readers is there still not a mainstream consumer magazine that really gets diversity of experience? Why is there not a women's magazine or a parenting magazine that really aims to attract women and families who look like us? Us with many hues and hair textures living under one roof. Where two languages are more common than one?

Over the years there have been some independent attempts at a multicultural magazine, like HUES (Hear Us Emerging Sisters), Honey which is now an online magazine with an obviously Black/urban appeal and the travel magazine for upscale travelers of color, Oddysey Couleur. But where's the Glamour or Marie Claire in color? I want a Parenting in color too.

Of course there are magazines like Essence and Latina but they too are content to be monoracially focused. My world, my Kinky Gazpacho family is still not covered.

What magazines do you read that you feel reflect your meltingpot lives? Have I missed one?

Peace!

7 comments:

Waiting for Zufan! said...

I do agree that it is missing! Maybe you should start one. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a magazine freak but as our economic times worsen, choices for great magazines is drying up too. The best parenting magazine I ever subscribed to was Wondertime Magazine. I also loved Domino which always had an array of multicultured folks. I was a huge fan of Honey and Marie Claire. Wondertime and Domino have both gone out of business, Honey is a little too urban for me now and Marie Claire has been completely white washed. I actually don't care for Essence because it doesn't speak to me nor my sensibilities or my family makeup.

Fortunately, I'm a huge fan of music and one of the best magazines ever is still available. Paste Magazine is just an amazing mag with not only a free cd in every issue but great articles. Great mag, great music and completely diverse.

currentsbtwshores said...

um, hello. . .this is your calling! you need to start this magazine! there is a total gap in the market for this. . .and what better time than in the era of an America led by a bi-racial president with a very multicultural family. . .you know, when you have time, er, between books. . .

Dee said...

I don't really read magazines anymore, and the ones I used to read were geared mainly toward the middle-class WASP female.

Nowadways, originality has gone out the window and most of these publications are BS in my opinion.

I agree with everyone else here. You and your hubby should start a multiracial magazine! I would read it!

Professor Tharps said...

WFZ, RA, and Dee,

You know it's not a bad idea...

Yvonne, I agree so much about Marie Claire. I'll look for Paste.

ieishah said...

i like TRACE (transcultural styles and.... no se que), because it's the closest that comes to a publication that cares about multicultured folks, but it's not perfect. mostly because it's run by men and their idea of 'multicultured' all too often comes wrapped in the bodies of 15-year brazilian models. but when they get it right, re: music, specifically, they get it right.

TheDespotsAreComing2012 said...

I think it's healthiest when children are raised by their own families. But wherever this is impossible, children deserve to be in a loving environment as close as possible to the natural world and the laws governing it. On the other hand, since their is much ado over gays adoption, I personally would love to see proponents of the "gays gene" theory be limited to only adopting gays children. After all, if it's genetic, and inborn to the DNA, should be a sinche plucking out the little rascals. But hey, that's just my thoughts ;)