Monday, February 12, 2007

Meltingpot Moments from the Grammys


Last night I watched the entire 3-hour-plus telecast of the 49th Annual Grammy Awards, the first time I've sat through an awards program in a loooooong time. And I have to say, I was riveted the whole way through. There were so many multi-culti meltingpot moments I thought ...If only the whole wide world could just be one big music video, then peace would reign for ever and ever.

So in no particular order, my five favorite Meltingpot Moments from the Grammys.

1. Cristina Aguilera channeling the spirit of James Brown. Whose idea was that? Had to be a visionary to think a 90-lb blonde girl could do justice to the baddest Black soul singer known to man. And for what it's worth, I was impressed.

2. Shakira and Wyclef doing their "Hips Don't Lie" thing. But note to Mr. Wyclef, Shakira can dance "like that" not because she "comes from Colombia" but because her father is Lebanese.

3. Justin Timberlake singing his duet with the adorable, ambiguously brown girl who won the American Idol-rip off contest to sing with JT. I just couldn't help but wonder what would happen if Justin stopped dating Hollywood blondies and went for a Black chick. Would his career soar or would he lose his loyal fans? I mean if he's going to embrace Black music, dancing and style (you know there was a time when Justin sported cornrows!) then why not embrace the ladies as well?

4. Queen Latifah and Al Gore presenting best Rock Album. I didn't make the connection, but the Queen and former Vice President made a pretty powerful couple. Think about if they ruled the world. We'd have a happy green earth populated by regular sized women full of self-confidence.

5. Chris Rock introducing the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Is he a fan? Or was he the only one willing to use profanity on live TV?


Rock On from the Meltingpot!

(photo from BBC)

No comments: