Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The Newest Member of the Kinky Gazpacho Family


Just an update.

We got a dog.

Actually, I went out with my 6-year old son to buy some school clothes and we came home with a new dog. Needless to say, he was an impulse buy.

So why am I sharing this on the Meltingpot? Because Diego (that's the dog) isn't just any old puppy. He's a Havanese! If you've never heard of a Havanese dog, you're not alone. Until Diego jumped into my arms, I hadn't either. And I know dogs. As it turns out, the Havanese is the national dog of Cuba. It is a breed that apparently is now rare in Cuba and more popular in the United States and the U.K. but still, he's a completely Cuban (via the Spanish aristocracy) creation. And...wait for it...he's black/Black.

Do you see the karmic synergy here? He's a Black Cuban (with roots in Spain) like my whole family of SpaNegros. He fits right in. He is my third Black/Spanish "son." How could I not adopt him?

Wish me luck in my new role as mother to a multicultural dog.

Peace/Paz!

p.s. the dog in the foto is a model, not Diego.

1 comment:

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Congratulations!