Hi Meltingpot Readers,
When I started this blog, I kind of wanted to keep my personal life on the down-low. I didn't want to write a navel-gazing kind of blog, where I waxed philosophical about my kids' bowel movements and what I ate for dinner last night. I wanted to create a more magazine-style, personality-driven blog, that would incite conversations and make people think. I don't know if I've been successful and admittedly I have mentioned my children a few times, but now I've been tagged by my friend Heidi and I feel I must reveal a bit about myself. But in keeping with the theme of the Meltingpot, my big confessions will be somewhat multi-culti in nature. So here we go. Six random things about me:
1. The first boy I ever kissed was a Spanish exchange student from Madrid. (He obviously left a great impression because I subsequently married a Spaniard. No relation to the exchange student.)
2. When I was in first grade I was chosen to play "Black Peter" in our Christmas play about the Netherlands. Black Peter is St. Nick's helper who carries a bag of sticks and whips all of the naughty boys and girls. I'm guessing I got to play the role because I was the only Black child in my class. Or maybe because I just looked good carrying a bag of sticks.
3. When I lived in Morocco as an exchange student, I got really good at eating with one hand. Almost twenty years later, I still really don't like forks or knives. Some people might think I have bad table manners, I just think I was born into the wrong culture.
4. I love Korean food, the spicier, the better.
5. Whenever my husband and I see a mixed-race couple, we slap each other. It's a game we started years ago and haven't been able to get ourselves out of the habit.
6. I really want to adopt a daughter but my husband really doesn't.
So there you have it. That was really hard. But I hope it brings somebody some bit of enjoyment. If you want to know even more about my personal life, check out my personal blog where you can read my entire life story and keep up on my literary pursuits. Meanwhile, here on the Meltingpot, I promise on Wednesday we'll be back to our regular scheduled programing.