Friday, May 22, 2009

Mixed Experience? Asian Heritage? --We Got That


Since May is Mixed-Race Experience Month AND Asian Heritage Month, we at the Meltingpot would like to dedicate today's posting to our favorite Mixed-Race Asian, Mr. Kip Fulbeck.

I don't have the words to define Mr. Fulbeck, because he is truly one of those uber-talented, multi-faceted human beings with multiple modes of expression. And he's not too hard on the eyes either. But I digress. According to his official bio, he is described this way:

" Kip Fulbeck is an American artist, slam poet and filmmaker. He is the author of Permanence: Tattoo Portraits; Part Asian, 100% Hapa; Paper Bullets: A Fictional Autobiography; and the upcoming Mixed: Portraits of Multiracial Children, as well as the director of a dozen short films including Banana Split and Lilo & Me."

I had the honor of meeting Kip Fulbeck at last year's Mixed Roots Film & Literary Festival, where he won an award for being so prolific with all of his work exploring and documenting the Mixed experience. Since his mother is Chinese, much of his work is about other Hapas, but by no means is he only interested in Asian identity. He is definitely an equal-opportunity Mixie artist.

To find out more about Kip Fulbeck and his latest projects, including the exhibit, "Race: Are We So Different?," check out his website.

And now you know a little bit more about the Mixed and Asian experience. Now go and enjoy your weekend.

Peace!

2 comments:

JennyBHammond said...

Yay, Kip Fulbeck! One of my favorites:-) I loved his 100% HAPA book...only wish I could have been part of the project!!!!

Can't believe you've met him - jealous...

Only a few more days to celebrate my Mixed/Asian Heritage month!!!

Professor Tharps said...

JBH,
I'm glad I'm not alone in my adoration of Kip Fulbeck. He's so dreamy.