Monday, August 10, 2009

Hunting for Black Virgins--In Spain


Tomorrow, el esposo and I are traveling about one hour from his home to the town of Chipiona in search of the Virgin de Regla, the Patron saint of Chipiona. She is a Black Virgin with roots in North Africa, according to legend.

The town of Chipiona, described in my guidebook as a "hidden gem" of a beach town, actually dates back to the 4th century, was built by the Tartessus, was a battle sight between Moors and Christians, and they faithfully worship a Black Virgin. It all sounds very exciting to me.

I'll report back what we find in this hidden gem of a town.

Peace.

4 comments:

Valerie M said...

wow
cool
I am really excited
can't wait

Andrea said...

Lori:
Do you know about the black virgin in Cuba, just outside Havana?

Professor Tharps said...

SK,

Right On!

Andrea,

I did not, but will add her to the list. thanks!

Unknown said...

Good post...........
Interesting........
Thanks for sharing.............
________________
DyanaDevis

Online Marketing of your brand