Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Virginia Festival of the Book--Here I Come!


Tomorrow after school, I'm heading to Charlottesville, Virginia for the Virginia Festival of the Book. I am so excited. For a book lover like me, four days of non-stop book events, warm weather and being surrounded by like-minded people, sounds like heaven. Wouldn't you agree?

I get to participate on two panels during the festival, one on travel writing and the other discussing the African-American experience in literature. Two of my favorite topics of discussion. What's more, I'll be sharing the stage on the African-American Voices panel with two Meltingpot author friends, Carleen Brice and Heidi Durrow.

And then of course I get to go to all of the other free events happening all day and night. And yes, I will be in line to meet Sonia Manzano, aka Maria from Sesame Street, to get her autograph for my kids. FYI, she's working on a memoir that I bet will be quite interesting. Would you read it? Do you think it will be full of scandals from behind the scenes at Sesame Street? I hope not. But I digress.

I wish you all could come with me. Maybe you can. It's going to be a great weekend for a drive down south on the East coast. Who's with me?

Peace!

(BTW, Because I'll be away, I may not be able to post on Friday. Check in, just in case.)

2 comments:

Martine McDonald said...

Have a wonderful time! Wow. Books for days is my dream weekend. Wish I could be there to hear your panels. Enjoy time with Heidi D.--I'm crossing my fingers for her that a certain someone comes to see her read.

I would so read a memoir by Sonia Manzano. I was on two episodes of Sesame Street when I was 5 years old and I have a distinct memory of being afraid of "Maria"--but I think it was actually awe that she was three feet away and not in my television. I bet she would have amazing stories.

Rock on, Lori. Can't wait to read your new book when it comes out.

--Martine

Professor Tharps said...

Martine,

You are so sweet! Thanks for all the love.

LT