Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Food for Thought -- Pasta for Potatos and Pistachios for Pine Nuts

Hi Meltingpot readers,

Just time for a short post today. I'm teaching my high school students again. I wanted to share with you some of my recent culinary experiments that turned out quite well.

Last week I didn't want to turn on the oven to make dinner. All I had in my fridge was a couple of containers of leftover pasta, eggs and some veggies. So what did I do? I made a tortilla de patatas but with pasta instead of potatos. I fried onions and garlic, added the pasta then four scrambled eggs, let it set, then asked el esposo to flip it Spanish style and it turned out really well, although a little lite on flavor. So then I made another one and added a can of tuna. It was so yummy. Even el esposo, who looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested I was making a tortilla with pasta and tuna, admitted it was good.

And in other kitchen adventures... The kids and I were making homemade pesto with the basil we've been growing on our terrace garden. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough pine nuts but rather than stop the process, I looked around the kitchen, spied a container of pistachios, had the kids shell those and voila, we made some damn good pistachio pesto. It was incredibly flavorful. I may never use pine nuts again.

So why am I telling you this? Well, one, to give you some recipe ideas, but also because I just think it speaks to my meltingpot take on life. Even in the kitchen I take ingredients that traditionally don't go together and find a way to combine them to make a culinary masterpiece. Hey, it works for me. What about you? Are you a meltingpot cook in the kitchen? Tell us about some of your most inspired creations.

I'm listening.

Peace.

No comments: