Monday, August 09, 2010

Link Love

Meltingpot Readers,

I apologize. Just enough time for some link love today.

First, please read today's Mixie Monday post over at Whatrugear.com. Sam has written a chilling piece on a North Carolina's decision to re-segregate their schools. You read that right. Read the story and be afraid, very afraid.

And just to throw some more heat on the flames of segregation in the schools of the south... I watched the documentary Prom Night this weekend. This was a 2009 film that documented what happened in a small Mississippi town when Morgan Freeman offered to pay for a prom for the town's one high school as long as they stopped their practice of holding segregated proms. The kids embraced the change, the integrated prom happened BUT a Whites-only prom was still held. And yes, this was in 2008, not 1968.


And speaking of documentaries that will make you cry, I've only read about this one and watched every clip on YouTube, but I'm already a believer. Just when you think there is no hope left in this world, you watch Ghetto Ballet and you will believe in possibilities again. I can't wait to see this film and I hope there is a real happy ending for this young South African, ballerina.

I have to say thank you to my new writer friend who interviewed me about Substitute Me on her blog. She's giving away a copy of the book as well. Thanks Charity.

By the way, what do all of you insightful and opinionated readers think of Wyclef Jean's run for president of Haiti? My Haitian-American journalist friend Rose-Anne has this opinion. I heard Wyclef on NPR's Tell Me More today talking about his candidacy and found myself wondering if he has a chance. Okay, I'm listening.

Peace.

No comments: