Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Death May Not Be Proud, But it Can Be Fun... in Ghana


Hey Meltingpot Readers,

I saw this article in the New York Times about the festive nature of Ghanaian funerals, now being celebrated more frequently in Ghanaian communities in New York City.

Please check out the story here and let me know what you think.

Rituals and beliefs about death are so fascinating to me and really makes you realize that there are so many different ways to view things in this world. Parenting, race, marriage and death. The things we feel so strongly about, when viewed through the lens of a different culture, can really rock one's faith and belief system. But that's a good thing, isn't it?

Do you have any special cultural/traditional rituals around death and grieving in your family? In my big, loud family, we don't have specific traditions, but when my crazy uncle -- and I mean crazy as in 'life of the family' crazy --died two years ago, rather than a wake, we had an outdoor dance party and picnic in his honor the night before the funeral. We celebrated his life instead of mourning his passing. It was great. The tears came the next day, but we laughed all night long.

So, tell us what you do when death takes a loved one away?

I'm listening.

Peace!

No comments: