Monday, July 11, 2011

Meltingpot Lessons from the Mouths of Babes


Hi Meltingpot Readers,

I can hardly believe it, but my baby boy is going to turn seven this week. People say because he is very pale that he resembles el esposo, but anyone who spends just a speck of time with him soon realizes that son # 2 is my complete mini-me. He talks A LOT. He is prone to being extremely dramatic and his current goal in life is to be a really good class clown. He truly believes that he was put on this earth to entertain the masses. Oh, and he can wiggle one eyebrow really well and at just the right point for emphasis.

Last night he was sent to bed without dessert for acting a fool at the dinner table. When I went upstairs to tuck him in I stopped in my own bedroom first and discovered the jewelry box he'd made me out of Popsicle sticks last year was missing. I suspected this was his doing so I asked him if he knew where my favorite jewelry box was. And in a quiet voice he admitted that he had hidden the box behind the pillow on my chair. When I asked him why, he answered, "Because I was focused on revenge." It took all within me not to crack up laughing. I love my son.

I love him even more because he has totally inherited my meltingpot gene.

Do you know what he wants for his birthday? My almost seven-year old? His number one request is a new CD. Is it Justin Bieber? No. (Thank God!) The latest Kidz Bop compilation? No, my child wants Putamayo's Arabic Groove. He heard it at a Ten Thousand Villages Store about a month ago and cannot stop talking about how good the music was. Did I mention the child is only six?

And where does he want to celebrate? McDonald's? Nope. Chuck E. Cheese? Not even close. My son has chosen to go to his favorite Korean restaurant for his birthday dinner and he wants to order his very own Bim Bim Bop. To him, eating a whole Bim Bim Bop by himself proves to the world that he is seven. How could I say no to that? Like I said, I love this kid.

So happy birthday to my son and I thank the heavens and the stars for giving me a child with such a unique personality who teaches me every day to embrace the unknown. What do your children teach you? I mean the stuff you never expected. I'd love to hear your experiences.

I'm listening.

Peace.

2 comments:

Erin Michelle said...

I absolutely love this story. I shared it with my roommate. Happy Birthday to your son!

Ola said...

Your son sounds adorable. I did DL that Putamayo Arabic Grooves and I loved it too! Did you know they make them for kids as well? I see them at work (the library) but have never listened them. He sounds too sophisticated for those though, lol. I hope he has a wonderful birthday!!!