Wednesday, December 21, 2011

MultiCultural Holiday Traditions

Hi Meltingpot Readers,

If you're in the Philadelphia area, please tune in to the WHYY radio program Radio Times today from 11am -12pm. (You can also listen via computer from anywhere in the world.) They are doing a show on the changing multicultural trends of the holiday season and I'll be one of the featured guests. I'll be joined by a sociologist named Noah Leavitt, who is studying Jewish - Asian couples. Should be a very meltingpot friendly show. And you can call in with your own stories of multi-culti holiday traditions.

So, this time, I hope you're listening!

Peace!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Very interesting show:) Two of my uncles and nearly all of my cousins (they are ethnic Chinese) have "outmarried" and many have kids. I never thought too much about how our family blends traditions...it just seemed natural I guess. Our holiday meals are a mix of both Chinese and American food.

Regarding the Jewish-Asian connection, it made me think of Tiger mom Amy Chua's family and also Gish Jen's novel Mona in the Promised Land (Asian girl in suburban NY converts to Judaism). I was googling and found these articles as well:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/deborah-jiang-stein/whats-with-the-jewish-man_b_772400.html
http://www.miller-mccune.com/culture/parentings-asian-jewish-connection-30002/

Amy said...

Check out this article in the LA Times about multiculti Xmas food:)

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-chinese-grandma-20111222,0,6795138.story