Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Push Girls: Real Diversity on TV


Hi Meltingpot Readers,

Not too long ago, I was lamenting the lack of diversity on television. Well, apparently I wasn't looking in the right places. Thanks to the smart folks over at Racialicious, I heard about this new series premiering on the Sundance Channel this June called, Push Girls. Yes, it's a reality show, but honestly it looks really good.

The show will follow the lives of four dynamic, diverse, girlfriends who all happen to be paralyzed. Three of the four are paraplegics, one is a quadriplegic. But this isn't a show about disabilities. It's a show about female friendship, living life in image-obsessed Los Angeles, relationships (romantic and otherwise) and being an individual. Two of the women are White, one is a Latina and one is mixed Asian and European. All of them have really amazing backgrounds -- and all of them are living amazing lives today. If I had cable, I'd be sure to tune in on June 4th. Hopefully I can catch it on-line.

Here's a sneak peek.


So, do you think you'll be watching Push Girls? Why or why not?
I'm listening.

Peace!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow this is so inspiring.

Anonymous said...

That show looks really cool. This is diversity I can get behind (meaning doesn't appear to be relying on stereotypes).

Did I see the Asian guy from 21 Jump Street (the TV show) in the scene where one of the girls is saying to a guy in the PC that "she missed him so much"? If that's not him, that is an amazingly close look-alike! I'm going to watch just to find out whether or not that was him and what is their relationship.

Anonymous said...

Yes that's him! He's married to Angela Rockwood but they're separated. He was with her for 10+ years I think and nursed her through the accident.

Professor Tharps said...

Anon,
I agree 100 %

Anon 2
Anon 3 answered your question. And it does look cool.

Anon,
Thanks for fact checking !

warriorgoddess said...

All of you guys rock! Thank you for all the love and support... Please stay tuned for what's right around the corner... There's a whole new spin coming very soon! Peace and compassion, Angela Rockwood