Thursday, June 05, 2008

Mixing it Up in California


In exactly one week from today, the 1st Annual Mixed Roots Film and Literary Festival launches with a bang. Rebecca Walker will be giving the Opening Address on Thursday June 12 and then the Festival kicks into high gear with writing workshops, film screenings, kids activities and a comedy hour or two. You can check out the entire schedule on the website.

Yours truly will be there to lead a workshop called, "Crafting the Multicultural Memoir" and I'll be doing a reading from Kinky Gazpacho. I'll also be launching a new product that is still very hush-hush, but if you come to the Festival and say, "I Read My American Meltingpot," you'll get a sneak peak and a prize! I want to meet my readers, so if you live in Cali, come on by please and show yourselves.

In case the idea of a really cool festival doesn't excite you, but you still want to meet me in California and win that prize, you can also come to the Eso Won bookstore on Wednesday June 11 at 7pm and show some love. I'll be at this amazing independent bookstore doing a reading and signing and hoping for an Angela Bassett or Denzel Washington sighting because I hear they shop there.

I'm so excited. And I just can't hide it...

Peace!

5 comments:

glamah16 said...

I still have yet to get your book! So much going on , but I will order it soon or buy it before I head off to read on the plane and during vacation. I read one book by Rebecca Walker, Black White and Jewish, and found it very enlightning.I have to get Baby Love too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori!

Sonju here from Chicago via Jamaica. My friend and I met you at Calabash. Started reading "Kinky K" (love it b/c it reminds me of my own experinces traveling to Spain and Latin America). I am in Waukegan, but will leave Mon, 9 June for East Timor. I read your blog and see that your in Milwaukee and going to Chi Sunday. If I can make it I will try to come down Sunday to see you in Printers Row.

I have a blog "www.travelsista.blogspot.com"which talks about my experience working/living in East Timor. Wouldn't it be neat to read a book about the travel/work/life experiences of African-American women aboard (hint hint). Please keep in touch (scjw14@yahoo.com). -Sonju

Carleen Brice said...

Congrats!!! I was at Eso Won during the Leimert Park Book Fair and met Nikki Giovanni. Sure hope you see Denzel or Angela!! And hope you sell lots of books.

Anonymous said...

HI Lori!

I was at the event last night at Cuba Libre, which was great by the way, and I wanted to know more about your culture/race awareness project. When I spoke with your friend in advertising (forgive me I can't think of her name...I know it starts with a T) she mentioned that you and her are starting this project about cultural awareness and I am very interested. I am in Philly doing an internship for the summer so let me know if you need any help promoting or what not. I would love to help any way I can. You can e-mail me at ldiaz1@digitashealth.com.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Leah Diaz
(studied abroad in Spain)

Anonymous said...

Hello! Interesting blog. I just visited the Mixed Roots and Film Fest Web site, where I read your (evasive?) reply to the question "How would you describe the Mixed experience?" Seriously, how would you describe that experience, and how would you like your SpaNegro children to answer the question?