Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Back to School in a New Language


I love the beginning of the school year. Having been married to a teacher for the past ten years and now with kids of my own, September always feels like the beginning of a new year to me. The academic calendar rules my world.

This year both of my children will be attending language immersion schools. I am a big believer in immersion language learning and wished I'd been "immersed" as a child. Growing up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I remember there was a German immersion school (surprise, surprise) and a French immersion school. Of course in New York City the immersion options run the gamut. I was disappointed that Philadelphia didn't have more to offer. I recently found this website which offers a comprehensive list of immersion schools across the country. I'm curious about other cities. Is there a good immersion school in your neighborhood? Is it public or private? Do tell. In any language!!

Peace.

3 comments:

Imperfect Serenity said...

I'm glad for your family, but did think of you this morning when pulling out of the GS parking lot I realized that I wasn't going to see your green car there anymore. Hope the transition goes well.

Mango Mama said...

I cannot tell you how psyched I am about your family joining us at Independence Charter. It's a wonderful school, but of course it has its challenges like every other school, and as much as the school's immersion program makes it such a stand-out, it's really the families that make it such an outstanding institution. Welcome!

Professor Tharps said...

Eileen,

I miss GS too. I drive by it every day and want to turn into the circle.

Mango Mama.
Can't wait to jump in.