Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Meltingpot Music--Leona Lewis

Okay, so now that my kids have reached that stage of development where they recognize race and ethnicity, I've become that mom who points out other folks who are Mixed to make them feel "normal." It might be some of their friends, or a character in a book or a celebrity we hear about on TV, or an author.

They kind of do it now too, so I'm basically following their lead. These days, it seems we're always on the lookout for Volkswagen punch buggies or Mixed people. We don't punch each other with the Mixies though.

All that to say, I'm now hyper-aware of Mixed-race people with something positive to say/add to the world. So, you see where this is leading.

I received Leona Lewis' latest CD, Echo for Christmas this year, but kind of tossed it aside as I didn't know anything about her, and only vaguely recalled hearing one of her songs on the radio. Well, that has changed because I actually started listening to the CD and I LOVED it!!! And then discovered that Lewis is Mixed, Mom is Welsh, Dad is Guyanese.

So, without more of my blathering on, check out this great profile from The Guardian about the London-based Lewis and then try listening to this song, Happy from Echo. It's one of my favorites, but seriously I love the whole album.



So do you love it too? Let me know.

Peace!

4 comments:

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

I don't know if it's just me or where I live in particular, but I've been noticing a lot more mixed race couples lately. Somehow maybe in the last five years, it looks like it's become more and more common. Considering a survey just a few years ago reported something like 17% of Americans still thought miscegenation should be illegal, it looks like we're coming a far way. It gives me hope that while the pundits might still be talking like idiots, the people are just going about their business in a more progressive, post-materialist way.

soy yo said...

I love it too!

Ola said...

WOOT! I'm Guyanese and had no idea she was part Guyanese. I LOVE IT TOO...^_^

Waiting for Zufan! said...

Absolutely LOVE it! Thank you!