Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Doors Close and Open for Super Mommy/Authors


Meltingpot Readers,

You know that phrase that goes something like, "When one door closes, another one opens?" Well, that happened to me. I had been invited to participate in this fabulous book festival on the island of St. Martin. They wanted me to talk about my book, Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America.

I was so honored by the invitation and thrilled to have the opportunity to experience a new country. But at the last minute I decided I couldn't go. Because of family obligations and my own peace of mind, I had to tell the festival organizers that I just could not attend. (Luckily, my awesome co-author, Ayana Byrd is stepping in for me.) At first I agonized over my decision and beat myself up for not being able to be a jet-setting author and handle my family obligations too. But then I realized that making the decision to not go, freed me from a lot of anxiety. Big relief. And I told myself there would be other opportunities to talk about Hair Story. Little did I know how soon that opportunity would show up.

Would you believe the very next day I received an email from a producer at The Today Show asking if I could share some information about Black hair politics. One phone conversation later and I'd been booked on their show as part of a week-long segment they're doing on hair. I'm slated to appear live on Friday, June 4. Did I mention that the St. Martin Book Festival runs June 3-5?

Of course anything far newsier than hair issues could bump me right off the agenda, but I'm still thrilled that they called. I am also thrilled how the universe proved to me that making the right decision always yields positive results. I followed my instincts and everything turned out super duper because at the end of the day, more people probably watch the Today Show than attend book festivals in St. Martin. Of course New York City isn't a tropical paradise, but I can go and come back and still pick my kids up from school, take the older one to karate lessons and tuck the little one into bed. And for me, that's what life is all about. Super Mommy & Super Author both get an A+.

7 comments:

jenwoohoo said...

Yay for "giving in" to your instincts to keeping life simpler! :) Congrats on your future TV appearance - I'll set my VCR!

Lisa MB said...

Outstanding!

I'll keep an eye out for it on the Today Show's website or Hulu. (And remember, solid colors look better for TV than prints!)

erinmichelle said...

Awesome, I can't wait to tune in Lori. Funny how one good decision can help things work out for the best. Way to go Super Mom and Super Author!

The Golden Papaya said...

Congratulations, Lori! That is so exciting.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Congrats. Good luck with the taping.

If you ever make it to St. Martin let me know. My parents and 95% of my family lives there.

Alida Sharp said...

How exciting!!

Professor Tharps said...

Thanks everyone for the love and support.

Ragazza, now I really have to go to St. Martin!