I come to you today prepared to confess. This week I only prepared one meal (meaning dinner). For the rest of the week we depended on our local ethnic take-out eateries -- the Jamaican, Indian and Thai from the title -- to nourish our hungry bodies. And I feel terrible. It's been a ridiculously busy week in the Kinky Gazpacho household. I had a reading, extra work meetings and the older son is in the final week of dress rehearsals for the school play. All of that was piled on top of our usual karate and guitar lessons. It's been a serious blur of activity and last-minute meal ideas. But that's all about to change.
I went grocery shopping today and filled my cart with real food, so I can cook away the guilt I feel for subjecting my family to meals served out of styrofoam and plastic. And don't get me wrong, I LOVE eating take-out Thai etc, but three days in a row and I feel like we all need to detox. So here's what's on the menu for the week. Just thought I'd share. And of course, I don't know what days we'll eat what, but this is what I'm cooking this week.
1. White bean and kale soup with spicy andouille (turkey) sausage.
2. Mexican-esque chicken with hot peppers and green tomatoes (I have to use up the bushel of peppers and tomatoes from the garden that are sitting in the kitchen window teasing me. If anyone else has a recipe for hot peppers let me know because I have a ton!)
3. Wheat-free/sugar-free Apple-Cranberry Crisp
4. Homemade pizza with chicken sausage and green peppers & Lori's Famous Buffalo chicken wings
5. El Esposo's Ginger fruit and Veggie Juice (Obviously El Esposo is making this.)
6. Tortilla de patata with roasted peppers and garlic shrimp.
Wow, I hope I actually make all of this this week because it really sounds good. And I just remembered, I'm flying to Miami on Friday for the Miami Book Fair so I better leave a good taste in the mouth of my boys so they don't miss me too much while I'm gone.
So, what are you all making this weekend or week? And if you feel like making me feel better, what's the longest stint of continuous take-out you ever pulled?