Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Be Careful in this ROOM!



Hi Meltingpot Readers,

Remember not too long ago I posted here about my reading goals for 2011? Well, I'm burning through my list.

In the last week I've read two of my five proposed titles. I actually got my hands on a galley of Lorene Cary's new novel, If Sons, Then Heirs. I was actually asked to review the book for a certain women's publication, so I won't print my review here, but suffice it to say, when the book is released in May, I suggest you all run out and buy it. Fans of Cary's previous work will not be disappointed.

And then, people, I spent the entire day in bed yesterday, feeling a little under the weather, but entirely happy with the excuse to read Emma Donoghue's riveting novel, Room, from cover to cover. I can see why this book is sitting pretty on the New York Times best seller's list. Narrated by a five-year-old boy who has lived his entire life in captivity with his mother in an 11 x11 foot room, the story defines the meaning of a true 'page turner.' I don't want to say anything else about the plot because you want to read this book with the element of suspense in tact. But while some people may be attracted to the story because of the, let's say, criminal aspect of the story line, I was actually more enthralled by the clear underlying message about parenting. I'd wager a bet even that the author wanted to make a statement about 21st century parenting and thought this chilling 'horror story' might be the most effective way to get people to think about what children really need in this world to survive. After reading this essay penned by Donoghue, I think I'm right. What do you think? Who's read the book?

I found the book trailer to be very creepy, but it made me want to read the book even more. Decide for yourselves:



Up next for me? The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

What are you reading today?

No comments: