Monday, February 28, 2011

Monday Musing-- An Untold Part of Black History Gets Told in a New Book

Meltingpot Readers,

Today is the last day of Black History Month. As you know, I'm not a huge fan of the concept, but I heard this story today on NPR'sTell Me More about a new book, The Dark End of the Street, documenting the pattern of sexual assault against Black women during the Civil Rights Movement. I was so disgusted and horrified I knew I needed to write about it here. Please listen to the story and get angry. And then shed some tears and then tell me, what do we do with this knowledge?



Happy Black History Month.

Peace.

1 comment:

AnaCeleste said...

Thanks for posting this news piece. I will definitely be lookign for this book. I was surprised that the woman who wrote it was white. I'm glad she's brought this issue to light.