Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Whatrugear.com Update


Hi Meltingpot Readers,

I just wanted to give you the latest update about my side hustle, my t-shirt company, Whatrugear.com. For those of you new to the Meltingpot, in 2008 I launched an online t-shirt company that speaks to my commitment to get the conversation started on race and identity in everyday life. I figure if your identity is plastered across your chest, then people will have an easy way to begin an otherwise awkward conversation.

I've worn the shirts around myself and I've witnessed the power of the messages we've created. Seriously. People in grocery stores and on the street always ask, "what does your shirt mean?" I love it.

So anyway, since I'm also a full-time college professor, a mom and a writer, unfortunately whatrugear.com has not gotten my full attention. We have a great intern who's been keeping the mixie conversation alive on the ?RU Blog but I admit, the company hasn't been the roaring success we had hoped for. That being said, we have lowered the prices on our shirts in recognition of these tough economic times and to see if lower prices might move more product. We're calling it our "Recession Special." So, for now all of our shirts (and adorable Mixed to Perfection onesies) are priced below $20. They're still 100% cotton, sweat-shop free, and made in the USA.

On the bright side, a new store -- that will carry a wide range of products for the mixie community -- is about to launch and will be carrying our shirts.

In the meantime, I'm curious to see how the price change will effect sales. If any one of you have any great sales advice, you know I'm listening.

Peace!

No comments: